1. Using Multiple Regression in Research
This easy tutorial will show you how to run multiple regression test in SPSS, and how to interpret the result.
Multiple regression is a parametric technique that is used to examine the relationship between variables, one dependent and two or more independent. The value of the dependent variable is estimated based on the values of the independent variable. In addition, the dependent variable is usually denoted by Y, and the independent variables by X1, X2,…, Xn. The regression equation takes the following form:
where y is the dependent variable, is intercept,b1, b2 , , …bn are regression coefficients, are independent variables, and is error term.
2. The assumptions of the Multiple Regression Analysis:
- continuous dependent variable
- continuous or dichotomous (1 or 0, dummy variable) independent variables
- normal distribution of data
- no autocorrelation
- no multicollinearity
3. An Example: How To Perform Multiple Regression Analysis in SPSS?
We collected data from students about their level of happiness with their life, level of depression, level of stress, and age. Happiness rates on a scale of 1 to 5, while depression and stress rates on a scale of 1 to 10. Age is numerical data. We wanted to examine how the level of depression, level of stress, and age predict students’ level of happiness.
This easy tutorial will show you how to run the multiple regression tests in SPSS, and how to interpret the result.